Digital currency exchange providers
A digital currency exchange provider is an individual, business or organisation that exchanges:
- money (Australian or foreign currency) for digital currency
- digital currency for money (Australian or foreign currency)
as part of operating a digital currency exchange business.
Digital currency exchange providers must be registered with AUSTRAC. Find out more about how to register. You will be enrolled with AUSTRAC as part of the registration process.
If you are a digital currency exchange provider, you must be registered with AUSTRAC before you can provide digital currency exchange services. It is against the law to provide digital currency exchange services in Australia without being registered.
Taxation rules also apply. Visit the Australian Taxation Office website for information on cryptocurrency used in business.
- apply to register with AUSTRAC. AUSTRAC has the right to refuse, suspend or cancel registration. We can also impose conditions on registration.
- renew your registration every three years.
- keep your details up to date
Read about the consequences of not complying.
The content on this website is general and is not legal advice. Before you make a decision or take a particular action based on the content on this website, you should check its accuracy, completeness, currency and relevance for your purposes. You may wish to seek independent professional advice.