Working at AUSTRAC
At AUSTRAC we work with our partners to protect our country and its people from serious financial crime. Our intelligence and regulatory functions work together to detect and disrupt money laundering, terrorism financing and other criminal abuse of the financial system. We work with security, law enforcement and other agencies here in Australia and overseas.
Every day our people use their intellect, skills, intuition, initiative and the latest technologies to help keep our country, our economy and our communities safe. We offer you a challenging and rewarding career with meaningful work that allows you to contribute to real outcomes. Wherever you work at AUSTRAC, you can make an impact.
AUSTRAC has three main divisions.
- Regulatory Strategy – regulates financial service providers (and some other businesses) to ensure they are not exploited by criminals.
- Intelligence and International – uses financial intelligence to stop financial crime.
- Corporate Operations– supports and enables our people and processes to function seamlessly.
Our culture is important to us. At AUSTRAC we are:
- United. We work together as one AUSTRAC and have high expectations of ourselves and others. We embrace change and collaborate internally and with our partners to serve the community.
- Accountable. We are transparent and accountable for our actions. We are honest and consistent, which builds trust and earns us credibility.
- Empowered. We empower our people to share new ideas without fear. This empowerment upholds our high performing reputation across the community and with our partners.
- Courageous. We are innovative, flexible and embrace new ideas. We are bold enough to take risks and test new ideas to solve problems, but we are never reckless.
- Inclusive. We recognise and celebrate our differences. We embrace diversity and are respected for it. People are our strength, we care for and support each other.
Working with us
At AUSTRAC our people are our strength. We value the work you’ll do to help protect Australia from serious and organised crime. And we’re committed to helping you develop your career – that way you become part of our success story.
We recognise performance and teamwork in our fight against financial crime. We uphold the Australian Public Service (APS) Values and Employment Principles.
There are many benefits to being part of the AUSTRAC team.
2019 AUSTRAC Census Results
AUSTRAC participates in the annual APS employee census, which is conducted in May-June each year. The census provides important information on the engagement, wellbeing, job satisfaction and diversity of our people. It also gives insight into how we are travelling with our people, decision-making and innovation processes.
The census collects data from employees about their experience working at AUSTRAC. This helps us to recognise achievements and target areas for improvement.
The 2019 census results recognise improvements in our internal communications, clear direction and priorities from Senior Executive, and that we are an employer of choice.
Over the next twelve months, we will focus on improving our engagement with risk, building a high performing culture, accountability and sense of purpose.
Download the 2019 employee census results:
Important and meaningful work
- Working at AUSTRAC, you know the work you do really matters, not just to you but to the Australian community. Working with us gives you the opportunity to make a real difference to the safety and security of our country and its people.
Lifestyle and wellbeing
- Work-life balance through flexible work arrangements such as part-time work, job sharing, condensed working hours and home-based work, flexible working hours and access to flex-time.
- Up to 16 weeks paid parental leave and two weeks paid supporting partner leave, in addition to government provided schemes.
- Free parking for women in their third trimester of pregnancy.
- A confidential counselling program for employees and their families.
- Free flu vaccinations and other wellbeing initiatives.
- Paid and unpaid leave for community volunteering.
Financial certainty and other benefits
- Competitive APS salaries with access to annual salary progression.
- 15.4% superannuation, which continues through paid maternity leave.
- Discounted health insurance and novated car leasing.
You can see the AUSTRAC Enterprise Agreement (PDF, 372.3 KB) for more information about current salaries and other conditions of employment.
AUSTRAC Salary Rates and Salary Points
|Classification level||From 29 March 2019||From 29 March 2020||From 29 September 2021|
|APS Level 3||
|APS Level 4||
|APS Level 5||
|APS Level 6||
|Executive Level 1||
|Executive Level 2||
- Learning and development matched to each person’s role and career aspirations.
- International opportunities.
- A study assistance program, including generous financial assistance and paid study leave.
- Specialised programs for current and future leaders.
- Access to internal transfer opportunities.
Our capability framework (PDF, 1.01MB) sets out the broad capabilities we expect of our employees at each level.
The content on this website is general and is not legal advice. Before you make a decision or take a particular action based on the content on this website, you should check its accuracy, completeness, currency and relevance for your purposes. You may wish to seek independent professional advice.