Highlighting the Fintel Alliance’s crime fighting achievements in 2020
In 2019-20 AUSTRAC’s Fintel Alliance celebrated some major operational results, which you can read about in the Fintel Alliance Performance Report 2019-20.
The Fintel Alliance play a key role in protecting the community and the financial system from serious and organised crime, staying on top of emerging criminal threats and supporting law enforcement operations.
Some of the highlights in this year’s report include:
- law enforcement arrests of offenders for serious crimes including importation of child-like sex dolls, money laundering, illicit tobacco, scams, and $22 million of tax liabilities raised
- 25 detections of child exploitation material, the arrest of ten individuals for child-related offending and the rescue of children from harm
- protecting Australians from criminal networks that are trying to take advantage of COVID-19 by fraudulently claiming superannuation, government payments, and other criminal activities
- releasing public reports to help combat child exploitation and illegal phoenixing activity
- more than 250 intelligence products provided to law enforcement and intelligence agencies, helping detect and investigate a range of crimes.
While this report focuses on the achievements of the Fintel Alliance, all our regulated businesses play an important role in disrupting money laundering, terrorism financing and other serious crime through meeting their compliance obligations and providing timely reporting and information to AUSTRAC.
Thank you for your continuing contribution to protect our financial system and community from serious and organised crime.
Download the Fintel Alliance performance report (PDF, 3.59MB)