Remittance network provider (RNP)
An entity that allows affiliates to use its brand, products, platforms or systems to provide remittance services to customers.
AML/CTF Act 2006 section 75(C)
Remittance service provider
An entity that accepts instructions from customers to transfer money or property to a recipient. Also commonly known as a ‘money transfer business’. This does not include a business operating as a financial institution such as a bank or credit union.
A ‘registered remittance service provider’ is registered with AUSTRAC. It is against the law to provide remittance services in Australia without being registered.
Resident of Australia
There are different definitions of ‘resident’ according to whether the entity is:
- an individual (where the individual lives in Australia)
- a company (where the company is either incorporated in Australia, or is controlled by an individual who lives in Australia)
- a trust (where a trustee is an individual living in Australia or a company incorporated in Australia, or the trust is controlled by an individual who lives in Australia, or a beneficiary of the trust is an individual who lives in Australia or a company that is incorporated in Australia)
- a partnership (where a partner is an individual who lives in Australia or a company that is incorporated in Australia)
- a corporation sole (where the corporation sole was established in Australia)
- a body politic (where it is a body politic of Australia).
AML/CTF Act 2006 section 14