In 2017 AUSTRAC launched Fintel Alliance, bringing together a range of organisations involved in the fight against money laundering, terrorism financing and other serious crime.
In this world-first private-public partnership, 29 government and private sector members (domestic and international), work together to:
- increase the resilience of the financial sector to prevent it being exploited by criminals
- support law enforcement investigations into serious crime and national security matters.
Alliance partners include major banks, remittance service providers and gambling operators, as well as law enforcement and security agencies from Australia and overseas.
Fintel Alliance performance report 2019-20
The Fintel Alliance performance report is now available, highlighting our major operational achievements for 2019-20.
The report demonstrates the vital role Fintel Alliance partners are playing in detecting and combatting new criminal threats related to COVID-19, while continuing to support law enforcement operations against serious crimes as diverse as child exploitation to illicit tobacco.
There are a number of key achievements in the report, including hardening the Australian border to child offenders resulting in multiple arrests and children being rescued from harm. Fintel Alliance has made significant contributions to the arrest of offenders for money laundering, illicit tobacco, and scams, and helped raise $22 million of tax liabilities.
Download the Fintel Alliance performance report (PDF, 3.59MB).
- Fintel Alliance annual report 2018-19 (PDF, 3.9MB)
How Fintel Alliance works
Fintel Alliance partners work together at AUSTRAC’s offices in Sydney and Melbourne, sharing and analysing financial intelligence to investigate and disrupt criminal and terrorist activity.
There are two information-sharing hubs where partners collaborate.
- The Operations Hub – a physical space where partners exchange and analyse financial intelligence face-to-face in close to real time, combining data with tracking tools and best-practice methodologies from their organisations.
- The Innovation Hub – an opportunity for partners to co-design and test new technology solutions that assist in gathering and analysing financial intelligence at an operational level. They also assess the impact of emerging technologies such as blockchain and digital currency (or cryptocurrency).
A day in the life of Fintel Alliance
The content on this website is general and is not legal advice. Before you make a decision or take a particular action based on the content on this website, you should check its accuracy, completeness, currency and relevance for your purposes. You may wish to seek independent professional advice.